Monday, November 30, 2009

A boy by any other name...



In the womb, we referred to Finley as Sparky which came from Dan's frisbee coach at Tufts
who called any kid on the team who name he didn't know, "Sparky." After scoring a goal, "Good job, Sparky!" or after a poor play, "&#@!, Sparky!" We got pretty attached to calling our boy that name and sometimes still refer to Finley as Sparky. What Dan and I noticed was that we have a lot of nicknames/pet names for our little guy already and the question is, will he know his name is Finley if we continue to call him a hodgepodge of assorted names?

Here is the list names we use throughout the day (and night):

1. Finley (on birth certificate)
2. Fin (Dan's more partial to this than me at this point)
3. Sparky (explained above)
4. Buddy (as in, "come on, buddy, you're okay")
5. Squirmy Worm (my favorite pet name I think, though when he's being "wormy" in the middle of the night my love of this name diminishes a bit)
6. Nuglet (courtesy of the Tufts men's alumni message board: a nug is a bit of something so a nuglet is even smaller I guess, kinda like a owlet i assume). He's such a little Nuglet!
7. Lovebug (Dan doesn't use this one as much as I do, but maybe in time...)
8. F-squared (Finley Forseter)
9. Baby Burrito or Baby Cocoon (when he's swaddled up tight, see picture below)



I think that about covers it...though I do find myself, saying "Good boy" a lot (especially during calm diaper changes and easy feeding sessions), but Dan is worried that it sounds too canine to refer to him as "boy." I guess I can ditch the "boy" for now with so many other name choices above :) Let's hope Finley doesn't suffer from any sort of identity crisis in his early weeks of life!

P.S. Our Squirmy Worm was much less squirmy last night and actually slept in his bassinet for 80% of the night!! Hooray for progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment