Sunday, November 29, 2009

Out and About

So...I've heard from other new moms that I have come across that they did not leave the house for at least a month when their babies were born. That just seems like a frightening reality to me so I have made an effort to get out, run errands, see friends, etc. even though Finley's not yet two weeks old. Hopefully that does not put me into the "high risk mom" category!

Today, Dan, Finley, and I decided it was time to get out and get some walking done since the weather has simply not been cooperative for most of Fin's life thus far. Our first stop was to get my haircut. While I do have a salon and hair stylist that I have come to like in Somerville, the reality of making an appointment in advance and hoping that the timing will coordinate with Finley's feeding schedule (and Sangwha's schedule since I'd need to drop the boy off) seemed a bit far fetched. Instead, we went to Supercuts. In this economy, it seemed like doubly a good idea :) Finley and Dan waited patiently during my cut and then we headed off to the Burlington Mall for some walking.


We knew the place would be crawling with bargain hungry holiday shoppers, but with the weather being chilly and VERY windy we had to go for it. We circled for a while and felt lucky that we found a spot before this confused woman found her car (we followed her for a while and watched as she wandered through several aisles...kind of like that Seinfeld garage episode). The "first" for today was our use of our stroller frame that the car seat fits into. We unfolded it, clipped Finley in, and we were off. The mall was indeed packed, but it felt good to be out amongst the rest of the world. We did some window shopping, free chocolate sampling, and rode the elevator up and down several times (since I just was not ready to brave the escalator until the end of our trip and even then, just the up escalator).


The most remarkable part of our trip was two fold: my first "public" breastfeeding endeavor (under a wrap of course) and our exploration of the unreal Nordstrom's women's bathroom. I had heard rumors of how the store's women's room catered to moms so we simply had to investigate it when our little nuglet needed a diaper change. I wanted to wait for the family bathroom, but it was occupied. Finley wasn't in a position to wait, so I walked into the women's room. On the left was the women's lounge which has a love seat and two chairs. On the right was the mom's lounge that had two comfy nursing chairs and a nice changing table set up next to a sink. Both lounges had women nursing their little ones and I was next in line for the changing table. All the moms there were very friendly (and again I heard the "wow, you're out at 12 days old!). I took care of Finley's diaper and went back outside to report to Dan. What a treat it was to have a calm, clean, private place to take care of a baby! I'll probably visit Nordstorm quite a bit in the coming months :)

After finishing our mall crawl, we hopped back in the car and headed home since we had dinner plans at Mike and Tali's house around 6. Dinner went well, but Finley pushed the limits of our diaper bag. He needed to be changed and dressed in a 2nd outfit after dinner. Then, about thirty minutes later he needed to be changed again and dressed in a 3rd outfit. The problem was we did not pack a 3rd outfit...poor guy got a fresh diaper but had to ride home in a bit of his own filth, our bad :( The lessons we continue to learn...Finley was happy as clam when he got new clothes at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment