Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sandbox: Episode 2

Yes, the sand is in! On Monday, three of Dan's frisbee proteges from Tufts came and helped pick up and unload eighteen 60 lb bags of playsand for us. Hooray! Monday night, my parents were here and my dad and Dan tore open 14 of those bags and dumped them into the sandbox.
Despite Dan's careful calculations, it seems that we had 4 bags too many. Oops, but $6 a bag, it was not worth lugging 240 lbs of sand back to Arlington Coal and Lumber, so we put it in the garage assuming we'll need a refill at some point.

After a busy Tuesday, I put off Finley's dinner so he could dive into the sandbox at long last. It was awesome! He was genuinely thrilled to see what seemed like miles and miles of personal digging sand. Check out his total glee, while lugging his rake and hoe :)
At first, he only wanted to stand outside and dig.
Finally, he stepped in and gave me a nice "cheese" before getting down to work.
(while sitting comfortably on the bench).
Silly me, I thought he would have just plopped down in the sand!
All the sand toys that we've been storing up have come in handy and I think he'll be even more excited when we roll a nice, hand-me-down dump truck out from the garage into his new play spot tomorrow.
I tried three or four times to get him on video digging, but our neighbors were having a party of some sort that involved a slip and slide and the noise was overpowering. Finley would echo back a scream whenever he heard one and while it was funny, it wasn't giving me the "toddler in sandbox" movie that I had planned on. Alas, here's the best I can offer to capture the overall moment of Finley's first time in his very own, built-by-daddy sandbox. Hooray for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment