Thursday, April 22, 2010

Our Little Bookworm

Since early on, Finley has loved books. I remember when he was like a month old and I was so tired that I just wanted to sit in the rocking chair with him for a while. Like most newborns, that wasn't enough movement for him and he would have preferred to be walked around or bounced. I was too exhausted for that, so I reached to pull a book off his bookshelf. The closet one was The Lorax, a classic! It was a gift from our friend, Mark, that I was excited about...one that I knew Finley would grow to love, though not sure it was a "baby" book. I thought I'd give it a try and to my surprise, he sat through the entire book!! It was one of those new mom moments telling me, "I can do this!" For those that don't know the story, it's a wonderful Dr. Seuss tale of how one person (person-like creature) can make a difference and in this case, save the environment. I used to use it in my classroom every school year, so I could basically tell the story by heart. Maybe someday Finley will, too.

Lately, Finley has continued to love being read to. Some of his favorite books are by Sandra Boyton: Moo, Baa, LaLaLa!, The Belly Button Book and every night before bed, we read The Going to Bed Book. He also loves If I Were a Cow and Owl Babies. I keep pushing The Very Hungry Caterpillar and other favorites of mine, but the boy likes what he likes :)

As you recall, Finley became quite fascinated by The Fuzzy Bee back in March.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Fuzzy Bee


He still loves it, but I wouldn't say he loves to read it as much as he loves to eat it, smoosh it, pull on it, and wear it!
Another favorite is Go, Dog, Go! It's short, simple and a bit smaller than our other board books which makes it even easier for him to hold.
We have piles and piles of board books and picture books, so I am always rediscovering new ones to share with Finley. When he does tummy time and I lay down next to him (on my tummy) and read books to him. I adore how he actually seems to follow along as I read and carefully examine both pictures before I turn the page. His face lights up for certain images or words and it's fun to see what new things he is attracted to. We have a couple books with baby faces in them and Finley certainly loves a few of those babies and smiles right at them (even the one who has a pouty face!). In our book of baby colors, I'm pretty sure the "gray babies" are still his favorite.

Anytime any of you want to come over and read the little guy a book, you're more than welcome! I know he'd love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment