Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Feeding Time at the Zoo #1

Well, after much thought and procrastination, I decided to try out some rice cereal with Finley yesterday. I sat him in his high chair and let him play for a bit with a spoon (that is too grown up for him, therefore a great toy). For some reason, he was less than enthused to begin this adventure with me....
...alas, I began mixing the not-so-appetizing rice cereal flakes with some warm breastmilk. I followed the instructions on the box but it went from way too thick to basically breastmilk with some floating flakes in it. I figured let's go for it anyway!
I don't think any went in on the first spoonful, most of it sat on his tongue and then came dribbling out.
Second spoonful was much the same. But then...
He revolted! I realized that it was time for him to nurse when I started feeding him, but figured we'd try this first. Wrong. Since this cereal crap is just for experience and not so much for nutrition, plus none of it was really getting into his stomach--I bagged this effort and nursed him. Then, we went back to the table to try it again.
He was much more willing to let it swish around in his mouth this time around (yippee!), but also more interested in shoving his hands in there as well.
We tried like eight or so more spoonfuls of the liquidy goop before we stopped. Some went down his trap, but most when down his chin. All in all, not too bad for our first try!
I was worried about this since Dan was allergic to rice cereal as a baby and apparently he projectile vomited as a result. Plus, rice can be very binding and Finley isn't the most regular guy so I don't want to complicate his digestive tract any further. Thankfully, he seemed to enjoy the experience overall and this next photo will surely motivate me to try again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment