Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Recreating my childhood favorites for Finley

In the month or so leading up to Finley’s birth I started to think about things that were intertwined with the memories of my own childhood. Music definitely came to mind. I can remember countless long car rides listening to the same Harry Chapin and Peter, Paul & Marry albums. There may have been other music we listened to, but I remember those two artists more than any others. In the box of tapes under my bed I think I still have the fading copies, so it was time to upgrade. A quick trip to the local CD store and itunes and we had all my favorite songs ready for Fin to listen to. I made a mix CD that is in the stereo in his room. Now I just have to trick Allison into liking them too. (She’s not a folk music fan.)

My other childhood constant was Pillow. Pillow was just that, a pillow in the shape of a lion's face. It was a gift made by a family friend. (Who knows why I named him Pillow...it obviously speaks to the power of my imagination. I had some other great names for stuffed animals like Sealy the seal and Gator the alligator.)

Anyway, when I was first born my parents tied up pillow in my crib for me to look at. As I got older and was able to have loose items in the crib I would sleep with / on top of Pillow.





And as I grew up Pillow and I went everywhere together. So much so that my mom had to make a 2nd Pillow for when the original went in the wash or was misplaced. At my young age I was obviously unaware of the existence of a second pillow, and my parents could easily swap one for another. I remember when I discovered the emergency Pillow and walked around with both of them saying, "Two! Two!" To this day I still have the original (loved to death) Pillow on a shelf on my bedside table.



So about 2 months ago I charged my mom with the task of creating a new Pillow for Finley (using the 2nd pillow as a prototype). When my dad was in town last week he came bearing Pillow 3.0 and we tied him up in the co-sleeper where Finley sleeps (well, where we'd like him to sleep). I guess the odds are pretty slim that Fin will become as attached to his Pillow as I was to mine, but who knows...


2 comments:

  1. This is very sweet, Dan. I find it amazing that someone else had that much yellow gingham in their childhood room...My walls were covered in it and I still have my yellow gingham baby blanket ("blankie").

    I hope Fin loves his Pillow as much as you love yours.

    -sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Return of Pillow! Hooray! Glad you still have it.
    If you remember it, Free to Be You and Me is another great kids album from when we were little.
    When are you going to start building lego designs that span his entire room? =)
    Loving the updates.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete