Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Something Beautiful

On my way out of school with the kids this afternoon, one of the assistant directors waved me over and said she really wanted to show me something.  She said that at the end of each semester, the high school students who do their field work at the preschool each write a few paragraphs about "Something Beautiful" that they saw in their time with the children.  She went on to say that one of the students (Max) had written his story about Finley and she thought it captured him wonderfully.  I was eager to see it and so she read it to me and then gave me a copy.  My heart melted and I was surely beaming with pride.  Read for yourself, I transcribed it below:


"My something beautiful was the act of kindness when Doru fell during a game of tag.  He had butchered his knee (not literally) and he was screaming for help.  Doru’s best friend, Finley, came over and picked Doru up.  This was a beautiful moment, getting to see how 3 year olds are not just walking destroyers, but living, empathetic beings.  I was also horrified when the teachers didn’t see.  Character is what you do when nobody is there to see…

I guess that this is not a super three year old.  Any three year old could have done that, but here’s the thing.  Finley was in a game of tag.  And he was about to make someone else “it.”  I know preschoolers take tag VERY seriously.  And what I say very, I mean VERY.  So, for Finley to sacrifice his “tag” win, I know what Finley did, was something beautiful…"

This paper will surely go into Finley's keepsake file!


No comments:

Post a Comment