Monday, November 14, 2011

Finley's Backyard Birthday Bonanza


We lucked into the best weather November had to offer this year and celebrated Finley's 2nd birthday outside in our backyard with a wonderful bunch of our family and friends. With the help of Dan's mom, dad, and sister not only was our house ready for a party, but the backyard was primed for fun! All our outdoor toys came in handy, but the big piles of leaves Dan had raked were the biggest hit by far!

Finley just loved running around and through the leaves with all his pals.  Henry started tossing leaves into the air and seemed in pure heaven.  Eliot started tossing them on Henry, to his great joy, and Finley couldn't resist taking a turn.

I can't imagine a more cliche fall scene!

After a while, Finley suddenly retreated into my lap and seemed all done with his party.  Yikes, I thought, but soon I realized the kid was probably pretty hungry and running a bit low in the blood sugar department.  I snatched him up and we filled a plate of strawberries, blueberries, and pretzels.

Where there is food, toddlers will follow and soon it was a group date!
These seemlingly small, innocent children ate an inordinate amount of fruit and then went back to playing full tilt.  Mission accomplished.  But before we knew it, the pizza had arrived and we were sure if the kiddos would even want any...

There was nothing to worry about! Finley and his fellow party-goers ate their share of pizza while the parents chowed down as well.

Next, it was cake time!  Here's my creation for this year's celebration:

Please tell me it (slightly) resembles at dump truck! Everyone gathered around and Finley really enjoyed the group serenade of "Happy Birthday" before giving himself a round of applause.  
We leaned over to blow out the candle (that the wind had already blown out) and then I put Finley down to serve everyone, but before I knew it the Birthday Boy made his move.
Have at it, little man!
Soon it was time for goodbyes and we thanked everyone for coming and making his big day so special.  While Dan and his parents and sister amazingly raked all the leaves up into eight leaf bags, my sister, Finley and I went inside for some post-party wind down time.  As Caitlin and I chatted, Finley was busy at work and when we asked him what he was doing with some of his trucks and helicopter, he quickly responded, "party."  Ha! I asked him what they were eating and he answered, "cake!"
I couldn't think of a better way to end the fiesta...oh wait, Finley's 2.5 hour nap afterwards was the best way!  Thank you to all our terrific friends and family who came to the party and made it so special :) Turning 2 is pretty sweet and Finley is still coming down from the sugar high! I sure hope he enjoys his actual birthday on Wednesday and the novelty hasn't worn off....

No comments:

Post a Comment