Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stay At Home Snow Day

Technically this is my school's 3rd snow day this month, but Finley and I took an additional one since his daycare was closed and we were both sick last week post-snowstorm # whatever. Snow days at home with a toddler are a bit different than they were when I could spend them curled up on the couch, catching up on TV, napping, shoveling, and just enjoying my freedom from the kids in my class. However, Finley snow days give me a chance to be a stay-at-home mom full time and I'm coming around to appreciating it more and more. My regular set up, which is part time preschool teacher and part time stay-at-home mom, has been going smoothly. Exhausting, but fairly smooth. Every afternoon, Finley and I find some sort of activity or adventure to do to pass the time before dinner and Dan's arrival home. Some afternoons are easy and some are more challenging, depending on Finley's mood and my own :) Sometimes 4 or 5 hour blocks make me think about how difficult it would be to have to entertain the little nuglet all day every day, but I think we'd figure it out (or we'll have to come summertime). And after a day (so far) like today, I suspect we might just have a ball together!

Finley's still fighting a cough and runny nose so we heard him coughing up a lung around 4:50am, but the only ones awake were me and Dan as Finley was able to snooze through his hacking. At 5:30, Dan's alarm went off so he could snowblow the driveway before work and I could look to see if I had yet another snow day. Finley wasn't up, just coughing. Snow day for me, so I curled up with the laptop to watch some live Australian Open. Finley started chatting about twenty minutes later, but was coming in and out until about twenty after 6 when I went into get him. He was his usual smiley self and despite have a ton of green snot dripping down his face, was excited to start the day. We played and played and when it was time for breakfast, he was eager to eat. He ate a huge portion of blueberries, all of his yogurt, and 1/2 of a multigrain waffle. I wiped him clean and set him free on the floor, but minutes later he was back reaching towards the highchair tray. All that was there was the other 1/2 of his waffle, which I offered to him. He grabbed it and babbled back into his pile of toys. He noshed on the waffle for the next thirty minutes while he continued to play. Soon it was book time and he started bringing me books to read while he sat on my lap. I LOVE that he loves books and it's nice to know all those hours spent reading to him when he was a teeny tiny baby and all through the months have paid off. He used to have three favorite books and he'd only want those, but lately he's been branching out and handing us all sorts. Sometimes he'll sit through the whole book and sometimes after a couple pages, he's all set. He loves lift-the-flap books and seems to open the flaps right on cue. But I digress...today, after we'd read a few of his selections, I made a request. "Finley, can you bring mama Hop on Pop?" He stands up and walks to the shelf of 20+ books and scans it. He reaches in pulls out Hop on Pop! I was speechless, I didn't think he'd be able to do it. He brought it over to me and I said, "Yay!!" and he clapped. We read it and then I asked, "Can you find Moo, Baa, LaLaLa?" and off he went to find it. Again, on the first try, he pulls out the right book and brings it over for me to read it. WOW!! So either we have been underestimating him lately or he's a genius! I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'm certainly biased. I knew he could find objects around the house like our big blue ball, his best friends Agent P and Bark-Bark, but who knew this identification skill covered book titles, too??!

I emailed Dan about the books and while he was totally excited to hear it, he wrote back that he wished he was home having a snow day, too. Sorry, Daddy--I'm sure he'll do it tonight before bed!

It was naptime and since Finley had totally tuckered himself out pretty well, he crashed and slept for just about 2 hours (despite all the coughing). He woke up a little sad, but perked up once he realized that his dad had left him some Special K to snack on. More playing and exploring around the house was on the agenda next. He loves to open the cabinet full of pots, pans, and lids and remove one lid to carry it over to the cutting board cabinet and put it in there. Then, we had some jam time as Finley banged on his drum and I played the piano. He wanted to switch instruments for a while and then it was time to dig in his toy bin for a while. He found some tiny little vehicles that we gave him for Hanukkah but weren't a big hit back in December. He put one on the rug and rolled it back and forth and smiled. It's funny that now he plays with cars and trucks the more typical way i.e. rolling them on their wheels instead of just chewing on them or throwing them. He finally figured out how to fit his flathead screwdriver into the screws in his toy tool box, which will make his dad happy. A few more books and then we watched an excavator move snow off our street for almost twenty minutes! Finley, you are a male stereotype.
Lunch was a freshly made chicken, broccoli, and cheese quesadilla followed by a very juicy tangerine. Despite being up for almost two hours at that point, our little energizer bunny just rolled on. We played in the playroom as Finley's new adventurous self likes to get into his push wagon and try to use it like a scooter. Then, it was back into the living room where Finley found the nametag lanyard that I had to wear in Prague at Worlds to get into events and ride the shuttle. I hadn't seen it for a while, but he dug it out of the toy bin and carried it around for a while. Then I put it around his neck. He pulled it for a bit and then pouted so I took it off. But he lunged back for it and much to my surprise, using two hands he put it over his head and walked off. Hysterical! He wore it for an hour and played with it here and there, but just seemed to like having it on. He completed our census form and addressed the envelope.
Then, I distracted him to rescue the pen and he picked up our census envelope and a Kohls giftcard and carried them around for what seemed like forever. Wearing the lanyard and such, he looked very official :) Eventually, he came to snuggle on me and that was my cue that naptime was near.

I got him into his sleepsack and against his protest, took off the lanyard. He seemed WIDE awake when I put him in the crib, but within ten minutes, he was out. What a peach!

I know that not all our days together are this enjoyable and easy, but I wanted to document this one since I truly, truly had fun just watching him bustle around and do his thing. He showed me new skills I didn't know he had and while we're still waiting for that memorable first word (other than hi), he's clearly got a lot going on in a very wonderful way. Not to be too cheesy, but Finley is just amazing and I can't wait to see what he'll do next. My parents are coming up next week to watch him while daycare's on vacation and I am so thrilled that they'll get to experience just what I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment