Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sledding At Last!

With all the snow we've been getting lately, it's crazy that we hadn't gotten around to sledding yet. I was delaying the adventure until I thought Finley was mostly over his cold and the temperatures were above 30...Saturday, the stars were aligned!

I had scored an infant toboggan off the Arlington-Parents lists for FREE a few weeks ago and Friday night, I cleaned it off and set it in the kitchen for Saturday's trip to the local sledding hill. On Saturday morning, Finley took it for a test drive while finishing his breakfast waffle.
That smile made me confident that he'd enjoy being towed around later in the afternoon! Despite dealing with a nasty sinus infection myself, the three of us braved the wintry outdoors. It was sunny and mild, which made it borderline enjoyable to be out there. Finley let me put mittens on him, which he wasn't thrilled about, but at least he didn't take them off.
We got to the top of the hill and Finley was NOT interested in walking around on the packed snow, so we sat and watched some kids (and Dan) go down the hill for a while to get acclimated.
After a few decent runs, Dan came back over and we got Finley strapped into his toboggan and off we went!
There aren't many cuter things than this, right?
Finley was enjoying himself until Dan went into some snow that wasn't packed down at all and pretty bumpy, so they changed course.
And the smiles returned :)
I took a turn towing around the little guy while Dan did a few more sledding runs, trying to find a good part of the hill to try with Finley. He found a less steep portion and carried Finley and our other sled to the top. I got myself into position with the video camera and away they went.
Finley wasn't thrilled with the landing (I cut the video when he started crying a bit), but it was worth a try! After all, last year he probably didn't even know what was happening.
We packed up and headed home, pleased with our time outside in the fresh air. It made me realize how different Finley's infant/toddlerhood has been compared to mine in terms of weather and recreation (growing up in Texas, I didn't experience snow until I was 6 or 7 years old while visiting my grandparents in Buffalo, NY). Maybe next year, he won't just experience it, he'll enjoy it!

Well, he did enjoy getting his winter gear off and running around the basement when we got home! What a sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment