Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Project Smile

Well, we thought Finley had been smiling for a couple weeks now (one every 3 to 4 days, but very hard to coax out) and he for sure gave his dad a big one during a rendition of American Pie when we were down in NY...but as I looked around at all the other babies at our last new mommy class this week, I began to feel like our perfect little baby was a bit of a grouch in comparison. Most of Fin's Great Beginnings classmates were all smiley at their moms or whatever inanimate object was being dangled in front of them...but not our boy, he was either sleeping or looking around with a furrowed brow :(

I complained to Dan over dinner last night...at length. I just wanted a little something in return for all my hard work, ya know? Then, Dan went off to coach frisbee practice at Tufts but I wasn't going to sleep another night without a true, social smile...hm...after a good evening snack, I got to work. Here is what I tried:

1. Singing (Itsy Bitsy Spider elicited one if his early grins)
2. Playing with his butterfly toy--zooming it up close and flying it far away, airplane style
3. Sitting him in the bouncy chair while I talked and made funny faces (oohs, ahhs, huge smile, sticking my tongue out, etc.)
4. Holding him to the mirror to see himself and me (still making faces)

What did I get? Bupkis!

Alas, Finley needed a diaper change so we went to the changing table to take care of business. Since he so enjoys laying there, I grabbed a book: Hop on Pop. I got to the page where all the words rhyme with "bee." As I read, the words (me, three, etc.) made my mouth smile and what happened? Finley smiled back! So, of course, I read the page 5 to 6 more times...but I should have settled for the one smile! At least we could both go to sleep now...

We were on the go most of the day today so Finley was spared from Smile Bootcamp. Around 5 or so, it was time for dinner so we settled onto the couch. Afterwards, I laid him in the boppy (u shaped nursing pillow) to face me and continue digesting. He was staring at me, which is great in the eye contact department, so I decided to sit there a bit longer with him. I started talking and smiling and his face just lit up with a huge smile! Again and again and again! It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen (seriously)!

I looked around for our camera but it was in the diaper bag across the room...darn. Hooray for camera phones though! I held up the phone as Finley and I continued to smile back and forth. The first time I took a picture it was not centered and I only got his ear...imagine my worry that the smiling phase was over for the night and me without a photo as proof for daddy! 2nd time was the charm though...not great quality, but a clearly happy, smiling Finley!


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. ~Phyllis Diller

I couldn't agree more! Thanks, kiddo :)

2 comments:

  1. cute!! i was just wondering yesterday when we'd get to see some smile photos:) go fin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I love F squared.

    ReplyDelete