Friday, January 15, 2010

Downtown Adventure

This past Thursday, Finley and I went for an exciting adventure into downtown Boston. First, I bundled Finley into his much loved Patagonia snowsuit. It's a bit big for him (his hands and feet don't nearly fill out the sleeves and pants), but it is very snuggly warm! Also, he usually falls asleep once he is zipped into it, which is an unadvertised bonus. For example, I zipped him up and left him for two minutes so I could get my coat on, when I came back he was zonked out!


We drove to the T station, got Finley into his Becco (front carrier), and hopped onto the next redline train. Finley instantly fell asleep to the hum of the train and the rumbling along the tracks. His Granddad would be proud!


We got off the train at Park Street and out we popped right on the Boston Common! Still snow covered, the public garden was a lovely site as we walked through. We passed the state house and the frog pond, too bad Finley was too sleepy to watch the ice skaters on the pond! We left the Common and walked down Charles Street to Upper Crust where we picked up a delicious pizza. It was pretty awkward carrying Finley in his carrier and trying to hold a large pizza out in front (with mittens on!), but we managed to get the pizza over to our destination: my friend Deb's house :)

We went to see Deb's little baby (only 4 weeks old!), Edward. Deb and I taught together in Newton and were lucky enough to have babies really close together. I pulled Finley out of his carrier and we just had to see how the kids measured up!


Now Finley isn't really THAT much bigger, that snowsuit gives him some extra inches :) Finley looks like such a little man! Edward is a cute, little peanut and it really took me back to see how small he was...hard to believe I'm already experiencing that "they grow so fast" cliche, but I am! We hung out, had pizza, nursed, changed diapers, saw Edward's adorable nursery, and chatted and chatted and chatted. I love having so many fellow mommies in my life! I know Edward and Finley will be fast friends...once they realize the other is in the room!

We bundled ourselves back up, said our goodbyes and headed back to the T. However, halfway across the Common I realized we could stop in to visit my friend, Lisa, who works nearby. Luckily, she was available and we hung out with her in her really, really warm office before heading back out to the suburbs.

Our ride home was uneventful, except that since it was now rush hour the subway was packed and we got a lot more "oohs" and "ahhs" from commuters :) It was really fun and quite easy to go downtown, so I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of excuses in the coming months to venture in!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fleece suit! So good spending time with you all yestarday! You looks so great and I can't wait for my next visit to Boston!

    ReplyDelete