Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mailman on a Push Bike

So as I try to recreate the cul-de-sac childhood I enjoyed, I wrote a letter to all 40 or 50 houses in our three street neighborhood introducing ourselves and inviting people to join us in creating a more connected community.  I asked for email addresses to create a neighborhood list that we could all use for babysitting, petsitting, contractor referrals, block parties, playdates, yard sales, get togethers, etc.  I know, I know, you think I'm so dorky...ah well...last week, I popped Dagny in the front pack and suited Finley up to be my mule and off we went.  He was pretty stoked to get to deliver mail!
He can pretty much pedal without any help, but pushing does make things go faster and the steering more reliable.  Finley the Mailman was an eager participant in this outing and loved putting the bright yellow papers in mailbox after mailbox.
Some boxes were up too high or were too tricky to pull open, but Finley persevered and was so helpful.  Much to my surprise, we made it to nearly all the houses before I ran out of photocopies and Finley ran out of gas. We headed back home and after parking his bike in the garage, Finley said, "When you get more yellow papers, you can put them in the mail by yourself, okay?"  Indeed--I guess child labor isn't outlawed for a reason :)

I've already received some pages back in our mailbox with people's info and gotten emails from others, so we're off to a good start! Summer block party here we come!!

Maybe I am as civic minded as my father...gulp...

No comments:

Post a Comment