Sunday, February 24, 2013

Big Brother to the Rescue

Since the day we brought Dagny home from the hospital, Finley has been a terrific big brother.  I mean it.  He's never shown any resentment towards her and while he sometimes has a hard time sharing our attention, he doesn't blame her for having to wait for us to help him out.  The older she's gotten, the more Finley has wanted to interact with her and since she actually responds these days with a smile, a laugh, or a babble--he knows how much she loves him back.  There are countless examples of when Finley comes to the aid of his sister like when she can't reach a toy, wants a cheerio, or her hat has fallen over her eyes.  The other day, we were at Gymboree looking for something and I plopped Dagny down on the floor for a while while I combed through the racks, but after about five minutes she started to get fussy and Finley (from about 10 feet away) immediately rushed over and got down on his knees to cheer her up (without a word from me!).

I wish I had taken a video, but I was just scrambling to capture the moment and got some average quality photos.  He tapped her feet and made silly, googly noises at her until she started laughing and smiling.  It was priceless!
When they are killing one another fighting for the bathroom before heading off to high school years from now, I will surely want to remember these moments :)  Finley, you're an amazing brother to a very lucky baby sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment