Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Mud Kitchen!

I ran a successful fundraiser for our kids' preschool last spring to improve their natural playground.  One of the top items on our director's wish list was a mud kitchen so this summer, Dan got to work building it after I lucked into finding a stainless steel double sink at a consignment shop for only $20!!
 The kids loved seeing it come together over a couple of weeks.
And they were super thrilled to help us install it at school the weekend before school started.

Using the dirt from the dirt box that I had made and posted about earlier, 
the children can make mud because the faucet really works when connected to a hose from the side of the building and between my mom and I - we contributed a HUGE bin of cooking utensils, pots, pans, and other kitchen necessities from thrift shops and garage sales :) 

Since school has started, we have heard RAVE reviews from our friends, the kids' teachers, and our director about how much fun the muddy cooking has been.  We are still troubleshooting the drainage situation, but we'll figure it out! I think our two kids are some of the few who haven't been up to their elbows in mud, but I kind of saw that coming (they are my kids afterall!).  Maybe when it's a snow kitchen this winter, Finley will become an outdoor chef!

Between my crafty creativity and Dan's handyman skills - we are a pretty dynamite set of preschool parents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment